Genres: Drama, Romance and AdaptationRunning Time: 1 hr. 47 min.
Release Date: August 19th, 2011 (wide)
MPAA Rating: PG-13 for sexual content, partial nudity, language, some violence and substance abuse.
Director: Lone Scherfig
JJ Rating: C+
Emma (Anne Hathaway) and Dexter (Jim Sturgess) meet at University. They live their life apart and then they live their life together. The story shows one day every year for several years. One Day.
5 Good Things About This Film
1. Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess have fantastic chemistry.
2. Very few funny and touching moments.
3. I wanted to like it. I like both actors.
4. Decent idea.
5. Witty lines from time to time.
6 Bad Things About This Film
1. The story dragged like old boobs.
2. The idea started out thin and by the end it didn't garner enough care.
3. Lacked heart spice.
4. The lack came from the way the story was told, more so than from the actors. It didn't pull me into it and make me care enough for what happens to them. I wanted to be pulled through an emotional roller coaster, as it should be for a film like this.
5. It had a good script where wit was concerned, but lacked words bringing together an emotional reaction from the audience, mainly me.
6. Simple works. I watch “Doctor Who” and they have simple ideas that are twisted in the most complicated way, but still told in simple terms that pull heartstrings. It's not that difficult to do, why do writers and directors over complicate it?
One Day could have been more than the sum of its lack in substance. It had the right ingredients to be great. Someone mixed it all wrong and gave me crap. This is the lull of late August yet again. It will continue into September, no doubt. Why do they bother with stuff like this? What a tiresome question for films that are tiresomely told. Put me in these scripts. Let me at it. Please, for the love of cinematic greatness...