Genres: Action/Adventure, Science Fiction/Fantasy and Thriller
Running Time: 1 hr. 52 min.
Release Date: June 10th, 2011 (wide)
MPAA Rating: PG 13 for for intense sequences of sci-fi action and violence, language and some drug use.
Distributors: Paramount Pictures
Director: J.J. Abrams
JJ Rating: B+
Kid filmmakers see an incident that brings about strange occurances in their town. Super 8
The Seven Great Things about this Film:
1. It’s a Mash-up of Goonies and Sandlot.
2. They couldn’t have picked a better person to play Joe than Joel Courtney. He did a fantastically normal job playing a plain kid with extraordinary personality
3. It created a time machine in my mind and brought my childhood back. Uber awesome.
4. There were a few scenes where the characters talk over one another with different conversations. It reminded me so much of when I was younger. I wasn’t a make up guy for a group of kids into movies, but the set tone brought comfort and familiarity.
5. A great ensemble cast. The kids meshed well. Elle Fanning shines.
6. Great opening scene with an emotional funeral without knowing much.
7. Funtastic script that bubbled with creative greatness that’s unavoidable. I bow. J.J. Abrams is a talented Mother Writer!
The Two Worst Things about this Film:
1. A few moments that lull.
2. The end isn’t as hard hitting as the story lead it up to be.
Oscar nod for screenplay, no doubt. It might have reminded me of two childhood films, but it’s in a sea of Superhero films holding its own. Its got gravitas.
Super 8 is a film I’d see again and own just so I could travel back in time. It’s truly a feel good movie, not of the year, but of the moment.